Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mother's Day Present


The assignment was to choose artists, like Monet, Van Gogh, Manet, etc., and paint a cropped section of four of their paintings. Then in the middle we were supposed to paint a portrait of a family member or more. The reason why I painted the men proportionally smaller than the women was because they represent how small a part my father played in my life; he left us for a new family. I had actually painted my dad on the left, but it didn't go with the whole painting, but you can still see a bit of him under the paint. I guess that adds more weight to the content. It's still not finished to me, so I'll touch up when I get it graded.

My mom doesn't know that I painted her, so this'll be a surprise for her on Mother's Day. Hope my mom likes it!

3 comments:

Tony Adams said...

Lively and energetic. I'm sure she will love it.

Sue said...

I think she will be entranced by this work! How could you have any doubts? Personally, I dislike works that are separated artificially like this, but that is just me. The portraits themselves are wonderful. But it is a student work, so there you have it.

D said...

Tony: Thank you! She KINDA liked it, judging from her forceful thanks. I'm sure she appreciated it, though.

Sue: Thanks! I can't agree w/ you more: the middle portrait takes the attention away from the surrounding images, so the painting as a whole isn't balanced; the four surrounding portraits are just there to take up space. So, yeah, you're totally right! :)